Monday, May 9, 2011

A Mother's Day Plot Twist I Never Saw Coming

Sunday started with a bang, well more a paw to the face. The minute any tiny ray of light shines into the house, my two furry, little alarm clocks wake up and Bella, being the oldest and the only one who loves to use the stairs to climb onto the bed, gets the regular duty of ensuring I know it is time to start the day. Basically this consists of pawing my head until I open my eyes. Needless to say, receiving a husky/shepherd paw to the head makes you get up pretty quick. Being Mother's Day though, I wanted to savor the comfiness of the bed and snuggle with my "kids." As they pranced around, rolled on their backs for belly rubs, gave enthusiastic kisses and genuinely couldn't sit still with the anticipation of the start of the day, it hit me that no matter what happened yesterday or what hardships their past's hold, every single morning starts in pure happiness and excitement of all the adventures the day will bring.  And as much as this day was about celebrating what I've brought to their lives as their guardian, I was struck by all that they have taught me and brought into my life and in particular this lesson of starting each day anew. We have so many wonderful things to do every day like learning to cook a new recipe, coming up with a great, new idea at work, volunteering at a local shelter or, in the case of my guys, digging a super, awesome 2 foot deep hole in the back yard. We can't let the bad stuff suck us down into the mud, it just makes less time for those things that really matter. That doesn't mean we forget what we have seen and done or the lessons we have learned. We just choose to utilize them to make things better for us and all those around us. So, even though yesterday day was Mother's Day, I would like to thank them for the honor of getting to be their Human Mom and getting to benefit from the wisdom they have to share with me.

So who exactly are these dogs that inspired such deep thoughts? Meet Max and Bella.
Max is an almost 3 year old sato (slang for street dog) shepherd mix born in Puerto Rico.

Bella is a 3 1/2 year old husky/shepherd mix found on the streets of Miami.

Do you have a lesson that your animals have taught you?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Loved your post and was thinking about your question. I think my favorite philosophy is: "to forgive is canine".

    There is nothing like the love of a dog, although all pets give back 100 fold of what we put in.

    My day started much like yours, all noses, whiskers and paws, and there was no break for Mom at 6:30 when it was potty call.

    I still marvel at how you can walk to your mailbox to get your mail and your dog greets you like you've been gone for hours!

    Each day is a celebration at our house, a celebration that everyone is finally awake and out of bed, a celebration when everyone gets home, sheer joy and happiness that we are together.

    Wouldn't it be great if we could all live our lives like a happy pet, with nothing held back and absolute love, respect and tolerance for others?

    What a great world that would be!

    Thanks for speaking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said, I completely agree. I am trying to follow their lead every day especially in the ways you highlighted with absolute love, respect and tolerance for others. Our little ones are like wise little sages wrapped up in furry little bodies. :)

    ReplyDelete